Castello dei Megalotti

These buildings, once the residence of the Podestà (name given to some high officials in Italy) and the General Council, were surrounded by mighty
walls with seven towers and a keep.
Between 1170 and 1259 it belonged to the fiefdom of the Magalotti, Counts of Fiastra, along with the Castles of Poggio, Macereto and Appennino.

San Lorenzo al Lago

Facing Fiastra Lake, this church preserves many medieval frescoes, which are currently considered as the oldest wall decorations in the Marche region.

Santuario del Beato Ugolino

Currently this church is the remains of an ancient Benedictine monastery named in honour of Saint John. Blessed Ugolino, son of the nobleman Magalotto IV,
was born in 1400 and, after becoming an orphan, he hermited away in this retreat. Inside this church 15th century frescoes featuring scenes from his life are still well preserved.

Grotta dei Frati

This cave is of Karstic origin located at about 600 m. of altitude, where there is a peaked rock on the Fiastrone Gorges.
It had been inhabited by the Clareni monks for many centuries. Afterwards, these monks built a church and an aedicula as well.

Abbazia S. Paolo Apostolo

This is a Romanesque church. It has three naves and preserves a painting depicting the “Conversion of Saint Paul” by Baciccia.

Abbazia di Santa Maria di Rio Sacro

Also known by the name of S. Maria di Meriggio, this Romanesque abbey was established by Benedictine monks around the year one thousand and named Santa Maria de Merigu. It had been their convent since the year 1500.

Ruderi Castello Varano

These are the ruins of a fortified castle built by the Da Varano from Camerino (14th century) in the hamlet known as Vallecanto. Inside them there is the small S. Margherita’s church.

Chiesa di S. Margherita

This church stands inside the ruins of the former fortification built by the Da Varano from Camerino (14th century) in the hamlet known as Vallecanto. The church was coeval to the fort and it preserves two frescoes by Girolamo di Giovanni.

Chiesa della Madonna del Vallone

This shrine stands along the road crossing the hamlet of Piedicolle, where this road forms an “elbow”, and it is surrounded by a moat. This church started functioning in 1747, as it may be deduced from the documents preserved in the parish archive.

torna all'inizio del contenuto
This is the section of the institutional site of the Municipality of del Comune di Fiastra dedicated to tourism. For information regarding the organization, go to the home
This site is made by TASK according to the main accessibility rules | Credits | Privacy | Legal notices